Tambov State University was founded in 1843 as the Alexandrinsky Institution. In its history of more than 167 years of existence, many changes have been introduced and in 1994 by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation it gained the status of Tambov State G.R. Derzhavin University. University students in the city of Tambov make up more than 10% of the total of the city population. This fact illustrates the attractiveness of the city to young people who wish to get a high quality tertiary education in a modern, rapidly growing and a developing city. The University carries out a successful international co-operation policy. More than 100 educational and scientific establishments from Germany, Italy, the USA, China and other countries of Europe, Asia and America are among those who partner with the University.